Paws for Hope Animal Foundation
Paws for Hope Animal Foundation (Paws for Hope) is passionate about animals and their ongoing care and protection. We have a vision for our province where every pet will be cared for and have a home. Each member of our teams believes in the potential to transform our animal welfare system to create a truly protective animal welfare system for pets in BC.
Major Gifts Officer
A newly created position, the Major Gifts Leader will oversee the development and implementation of a major gifts and planned giving program designed to increase individual, corporate, and community philanthropic support for Paws for Hope. Reporting to the Executive Director of our small, rapidly growing, and virtual organization, this position has a high level of autonomy to create and roll-out a strategy designed specifically for this organization. The ability to work independently and yet with a high level of accountability, is a hallmark of this position.
• Develop a major gifts strategy to target major individual, corporate, and community prospects that have the ability to make significant investments in the organization, through donations, sponsorships, in-kind contributions, third-party fundraising strategies, or planned giving vehicles
• Instigate and build meaningful relationships with a portfolio of prospects who have the ability to make a significant impact ($5000 or more) on animal welfare in BC and actively solicit these prospects
• Develop funding proposals to secure major contributions
• Develop and support a volunteer support team, including board members, who can identify prospects and support the solicitation process
• Develop a donor recognition program to honour donors for their support
• Steward current and past donors, maintaining their involvement and interest in the organization
• Develop and maintain communication networks and tools with stakeholders including donors, allied organizations, community leaders, volunteers, funders, and people of influence to provide regular updates and increase public awareness
• Support key Paws for Hope events that provide opportunities for cultivating, recognizing or stewarding donors
• Develop an annual program plan and evaluate results each year to help guide priorities for future years
• In partnership with the Executive Director, deliver presentations and attend events to build the organization’s profile and provide links to potential donors
• Prospect research
• Lead the development of collateral and online resources that support the major gifts program
• Manage donor database, records, and correspondence with all donors and prospects in the portfolio
• Create internal communication and reporting systems to maintain accountability in a virtual office environment
• 5 years of experience in a major gifts and fund development role, preferably in a small to mid-size organization(s)
• Demonstrated leadership skills and a record of completing assignments.
• Passionate about animal welfare and strong commitment to our vision for better animal welfare in BC
• Demonstrated success building relationships, developing cultivation and solicitation strategies, and securing individual and corporate gifts of $5,000 or more
• Proactive and self-sufficient, with the ability to work independently, from home with minimal supervision
• Strong planning and reporting skills
• Knowledge of planned giving including estate planning, trusts and estate, and tax laws
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Proficiency with donor databases, website platforms, and MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Committed to effective donor stewardship practices to help ensure long-term support
• Willing to travel within the lower Mainland and occasionally in the province.
Hours & Compensation
Contract position for 20-25 hours a week, with potential to extend hours after 6 months. $40,000 – 50,000 / year
To apply, send resume and cover letter to Kathy Powelson email@example.com
Deadline 4pm August 15, 2018