Paws for Hope Animal Foundation is a Vancouver based registered, charitable non-for-profit organization established in 2011 in response to the unsustainable animal support system for companion animals within British Columbia.
Paws for Hope is committed to the establishment of a more sustainable approach to animal welfare issues within the province and works closely with partners and others in the field to build such sustainability and accountability. Paws for Hope offers many services and programs to support the homeless and low-income with the care of their pets, while also supporting the work of community-based animal rescue and support groups throughout the province and raising awareness of animal welfare issues through education campaigns.
The Board will support the work of Paws for Hope and provide community leadership and strategic governance. While the Foundation’s Executive Director and Program Managers lead day-to-day operations, the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board Member responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Leadership, governance and oversight
– Serving as a trusted and devoted advisor to the ED with the development and implementation of the Foundation’s strategic plan.
– Attend monthly Board meetings and review agenda and supporting materials prior to meetings.
– Approving Paws for Hope’s annual budget, audit reports and making decisions on the Foundation’s operations and direction.
– Assisting the ED and Board Chair in recruiting other Board Members and/or committed volunteers.
– Serving on committees or specific task forces.
– Representing Paws for Hope to stakeholders and the community at large; acting as an ambassador for the organization.
Board Members are expected to consider Paws for Hope a philanthropic priority and to make annual contributions to the Foundation in addition to their volunteer services. Fund development is a high priority for the Foundation, and Board Members are often asked to assist in fundraising efforts, volunteer at events representing the Foundation, and/or meet with stakeholders and community representatives.
Paws for Hope’s Board Members will serve a two-year term to be eligible for re-appointment with Board and membership approval. Board meetings are held every month typically in Burnaby. Committee meetings take place through email correspondence or as required via teleconference if in person meetings are not possible. Annual General Meetings are held the end of September and Board Members are expected to be in attendance.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
– Professionalism and experience in law, fund development, accounting/finance, communications and/or animal welfare/rescue and rehabilitation.
– A commitment to and understanding of animal welfare and the community members Paws for Hope serves through its programs and services.
– An agreeable personality with the goal of building consensus and facilitating respectful discussion among diverse individuals.
– A passion for improving the lives of animals and a belief in and understanding of the human-animal bond and how it pertains to those we serve.
Resume and Cover Letter
Please submit a detailed summary of your experiences and qualifications, along with a letter highlighting your interest in Paws for Hope and how you skill sets will best serve the Foundation and those we strive to serve within our community.
Please submit all documentation to Paws for Hope’s Board President, Dr. Shawn Llewellyn, by July 31st via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.